Here comes the million-dollar question- Why some people are left handed? Medical experts aren’t completely sure regarding this question, a research shows a complex relation between environment and genes.
However, there wasn’t any discovery of set of “lefty-genes”, it was shown that there are more left-handed members in the family of a left-handed person. Furthermore, researchers have discovered different wirings in the brain in lefties vs. righties. As a result of the perpetual adaptation to the right handed world, left-handers are usually more independent.
Here are 21 interesting facts about lefties, about which you have probably never heard of before!1
- Left-handed people are 5 to 10 percent of the world population.
- Lefties have a tendency to become alcoholics.
- They are good in a lot of sports such as tennis, baseball, boxing, swimming etc.
- Over 40 percent of the top world tennis players are left-handed.
- Usually, left-handers are using the right side of their brain. Left-handed people usually reach puberty later, about 5 months later than normally.
- Statistics show that left-handed college graduates will probably become 26 percent richer than those who are right-handed.
- Four, out of the seven, recent United States presidents were left handed.
- The word “left” originates from the Anglo-Saxon word “lyft” which means broken or weak.
- Left-handedness has been related as a bad thing, and it was usually seen as a sign of neurosis, rebellion, mark of the devil, nasty habit, homosexuality, criminality etc. It was also related as trait indicating musical abilities and creativity.
- As was mentioned above, about 10 percent of the global population are left-handed. But when it comes to rats, cats, and mice, the percent of left and right pawedness is equally split.
- If women are regnant in their 40s have 128 percent higher chances of having a left-handed baby than women pregnant in their 20s.
- One more interesting fact is that 1 Apollo astronaut, out of 4, had his left hand as the dominant one.
- A recent study has found that left-handed people have increased talents in the fields of architecture, spatial awareness, and math, whereas right-handed have more verbal skills.
- According one study, left-handers are slightly more prone to asthma and many other allergies.
- Statistics show that around 30 million people in the United States are left handed.
- August 13th is the Left-Handers Day.
- Medical experts discovered that if a left-handed person injures her/his dominant hand, she/he will learn using the other one faster than right-handed people.
- Left-handed people are more prone to insomnia.
- Left-handers can easily see underwater than right-handers.
- According to one study, left-handers process emotions differently than right-handers, and they usually get upset much quicker. John McEnroe is a perfect example of this, as we have seen him being angry many times.
- Another interesting fact is that some of the world’s most wanted killers were left-handed: Jack the Ripper, The Boston Strangles, and Osama Bin Laden.